Our Final Invention: Artificial Intelligence and the End of the Human Era [James Barrat]

Our Final Invention: Artificial Intelligence and the End of the Human Era - James Barrat

I received a copy of this book from the publisher, via NetGalley, for review.

This book offers a terrifying view of humanity's future. AI isn't something I'd really thought about and I was surprised by how many different things have a version of AI: many are simplistic, perhaps, but one building block to what AI could one day be. I'd already thought about the games I play has having some form of AI, even if most of them are very simple and more trigger based (if A happens, do B). I hadn't thought about the recommended for you pages on Amazon and other similar sites being a type of AI until reading this book.

I'll admit to be interested in the (idea at least) of reverse engineering the human brain but given the stark view this book takes on the future of humanity if we create AI, I'm not completely sure it's something we should be messing with. I'll all for learning as much about the world as we can, but unless (until?) we can completely guarantee a 'safe' AI, I'm not sure we should be trying to create something like it.

Our Final Invention is well written and easy to read, although I did have a little trouble with the subject matter since it's something I'm completely unfamiliar with.