Collapse [Richard Stephenson]

Collapse (New America, #1) - Richard Stephenson

I got this book for free via Making Connections, so I could read and review it

This book is based in the close future of 2027. The closeness of the time-frame freaked me out a little, since this book is something I can see happening (maybe not that soon, but still). Maybe not in this way, with the Middle East joining forces (read: being conquered by Iran) and then trying to take over the rest of the world.

The book started out fairly simple, introducing the main characters: Howard Beck, Richard Dupree and Maxwell Harris. They are all important in their own way. The book focuses on these three men, but also has various other POVs scattered in the book that shows the differences from this time and ours.

Each man has his own story to tell, his own regrets, desires and hopes. One is a convict, another is the richest man in the world and the last is a Police Chief in Santa Fe. In some ways they are very different, but they are also all the same in others. All three are Americans, all three are survivors in one way or another (by luck, intelligence or sheer will).

That was one thing I didn't like about this book. I hate when a book has more than a couple of POVs. I know it was necessary to tell the story, but that's the reason it took me so long to get into this book. The POV jumping gives this book a 4 star rating, instead of the 5 stars the plot and writing really deserve.