SPOILER ALERT!

Rapture in Death [J.D. Robb]

Rapture in Death (In Death, #4) - J.D. Robb

I've finally gotten back to my In Death re-read.  The current plan is a book a week until I'm caught up.  Not sure how well that's going to really work out but we'll see.

This book starts on an odd note, since we know that Eve is on her honeymoon with Roarke.  She can't put the cop part of her away for even three weeks, which just shows how much being a cop defines her.  Roarke has taken Eve to his Olympus Resort, which is not yet completed.  The real issue is that it's up in space and Eve hates space travel.  He basically had to drag her onto the transport.

Even on her honeymoon, Eve can't catch a break (not that she really wants a break, but still).   One of the auto-techs has self terminated and Eve is the only cop on the resort so she has to step in.  General agreement is that the kid (he can't be more than twenty) wasn't the time to suicide: loved his job and was happy with his work.  None-the-less, the death is ruled suicide and life goes on.

When Eve gets back to NYC there's another death, also ruled a suicide and this is were things get tricky.  There's an abnormal burn on this vics brain.  Eve also learns of a Senator's self termination and has to go to East Washington for info on the man.   The fourth self termination is broadcasted live, with Eve right on the ledge with the woman. Poor Roarke nearly had a heart attack.

In the mist of all these self terminations, Mavis has been discovered and that ends up leading to a mess. The producer is obsessed with Eve and Roarke and he's using Mavis to get to them both.