SPOILER ALERT!

Naked in Death [J.D. Robb]

Naked in Death - J.D. Robb

Re-read October 21, 2013

I first read this book (as well as all the books in the series available at time) several years ago. That isn't really a fair timeframe, since I can't remember when I read them, only that I was hooked after reading this first book and rushed to catch up with the series. It might have been 2007, 2008 or even 2009. I don't know for sure, since I didn't really use my Goodreads account at the time that I read them. I'm hoping to do a complete re-read of this series, although I don't really have a time frame for that yet.

This series is part mystery, part science fiction. The first book takes place in 2058, so it's really not that far into the future, but the technology is quite different from what we have now. Robb (Nora Roberts, really) published this book in 1995, so the tech is even more different from the time of writing than it is from now.

The reader is quickly drawn into the world of Eve Dallas, who is a LT in the NYPDS, in the Homicide division. The world is similar to ours but includes air cars, auto chefs and the technology to travel (and even live) off world. Eve is due for Testing, since she terminated someone while on duty the day before. The first pages have her waking up from a nightmare: the man she'd had to terminate and the little girl she hadn't been able to save.

We quickly see how different the world is, beyond the tech, when Eve's first case comes in. The victim is a Licensed Companion (LC), in other words she was a legal prostitute. If nothing else, that shows how different the morals of the world are. That doesn't mean that there aren't those who disagree, which is quickly shown via the victims's own family: her grandfather. He's a (very) conservative senator. This victims' death is odd for the time frame because of the weapon used to kill her: a 20th century gun which have been illegal in 2022-23.

There is only a week in between the death of the first victim, Sharon DeBlass, and the second one, Lola Star. Lola Star is barely eighteen years old and she's only had her LC license for three months. The third victim, Georgie Castle, is a divorced grandmother who was working as an LC until she got her book published.

All of the women are part of the same case: under Sharon DeBlass' body there was a paper that said "ONE OF SIX", there was a similar paper at Lola Starr's "TWO OF SIX". Georgie Castle: "THREE OF SIX" While the case gets more and more complex: the only real link between the three women is the killer and their profession.

The case is also complicated by one man who keeps popping up: Roarke. He knew the first victim and was even a friend of the family. He owns the building Sharon lived in (as well as Eve's). That's not too surprising since he seems to own half the world, if not more. Now, there's a lot of things I could say about Roarke, but this is it: he's a suspect, although Eve doesn't believe he would kill a woman in cold blood. They sleep together, even though Eve knows it's a bad idea. The killer tries to frame him but doesn't know Roarke is off planet at the time of the murder and Eve clears that up and almost loses her job, and Roarke, over it. (and no more Roarke in this review)

The killer ends up being one of the few people I hadn't expected. I'm not going to give that away, but it does work out for everyone (well, not for the three vics but they do get justice and that's all Eve can give them now). Eve almost dies but it works out anyway.

This isn't my favorite book in this series, but it is a good introduction to it. I think I'd like it better if I didn't know how much better some of the later books are.

Next up in my re-read is Glory in Death (already re-read, but I need to review it!)