Our Inner Ape: A Leading Primatologist Explains Why We Are Who We Are [Frans de Waal]

Our Inner Ape (MP3 Book) - Frans de Waal, Alan Sklar

I loved this book. I almost wish it had been a ebook, so I could have taken notes about this book so I'd have those notes to write a in-depth review. Sadly, not going to happen. I do have some things to say about this book, aside from now wanting to read some of the other books this author has written.

Before this book, I didn't know that much about our close cousins, bonobos and chimps. I have heard of bonobos before reading this book and did know some things about them, but I know more about them now. The very start of the book was about a ape (chimp? Can't remember) helping a bird who had fallen on her side of the fence. I won't get into the whole story, but she tried to get the bird to fly and when it couldn't, she stood nearby with a sense of protectiveness until it could fly. This had to have been the best story to have started this book off. Before reading this book (well, listening to it) I never really thought about apes. I know we share most of our DNA with them (about 99%, according to this book, although I thought it was closer to 95%) but I'd never really thought about them beyond that.

I hate to say it, but I don't really have anything else to say, it's all in my head, but I can't think of anything else to say about this book. This is what I get for not taking notes. It's almost like taking a class and never taking notes all semester. That's what it feels like to me, at least.