Genghis Khan and the Making of the Modern World [Jack Weatherford]

Genghis Khan and the Making of the Modern World - Jack Weatherford

I'm really going to miss this book. I'm not sure how much of it I'm going to really remember, but I have learned things. I have always heard that history is written by the victors. This is very true, this book and the modern lack of understanding and even hate of Genghis Khan shows this very well. There is no way to argue that Genghis Khan changed the world or that he did kill people. People die in war. Now I want a book about the Huns, but I haven't been able to find one that sounds good. Oh well.

I was surprised that the end of the Mongol empire was the plague. I was expecting in-fighting to be the death of the nation and for it to be divided up by the grandsons or great-grandsons of GK. Every time there had to be a new Great Khan, I was expecting the empire to fall apart. I wonder how the world might be different if the Mongolian nation hadn't fallen apart due to the plague. If the plague had never happened. I know it is a foolish thing to wonder about "What if"s. I know better, but I can't help but wonder.

I'm not focusing on what the book says, but what I think b/c this review explains GK's ideas very well. Well, that and I'm too lazy to type it. If I hadn't seen that review, I would have done so (as lazy as I am!) One thing I will comment on is that the main reason that GK became the great Khan is that his new wife had been kidnapped. If the other tribe hadn't taken her, he may have never started his campaign to unite the Mongol tribes and would have never taken over the world (as he knew it).