Why Evolution Is True [Jerry A. Coyne]

Why Evolution Is True - Jerry A. Coyne

I'm going to miss this book. Not as much as I miss Genghis Khan and the Making of the Modern World and Our Inner Ape: A Leading Primatologist Explains Why We are Who We Are but I will still miss this book. Some of it was very familiar to me, since I've read several other books about evolution and occasionally listened to Renee (my former college roommate, former only b/c we've both graduated) talk about some of her classes were evolution was featured (her biological anthro class, for example).

It's not the author's fault that he was preaching to the choir in this book. I already agreed with the idea of evolution, so he didn't need to convince me that it is real. I don't think anyone who didn't agree with evolution at least in some ways would be willing to read this book, unless it's used in college or high school classes.

Favorite chapters:
Chapter 3: Remnants: Vestiges, Embryos, and Bad Design
Favorite part had to have been the embryology.
Chapter 7: The Origin of Species
I've heard of speciation due to geographical isolation, but not the other forms (which I don't
remember the names of, since I didn't write them down. Oops. Not that I could have spelled them if
I had, but I could have tried)
Chapter 8: What About Us?
What can I say, I love human evolution. I really wish I'd taken that class with Renee now (bio
anthro, mentioned above)

I thought I would like the chapter about sex and evolution more than I did. I thought it would be more like Why Is Sex Fun? The Evolution of Human Sexuality by Jared Diamond which focused on human evolution. I don't know why I thought that, since this book only has one chapter about human evolution, so it might have just been wishful thinking than anything else. I don't mean that chapter was boring, but it didn't make it to my favorite chapter list. Oh well.