The Making of the Fittest: DNA and the Ultimate Forensic Record of Evolution [Sean B. Carroll]

The Making of the Fittest: DNA and the Ultimate Forensic Record of Evolution - Sean B. Carroll, Jamie W. Carroll, Leanne M. Olds

I kind of wish that I'd read this book in ebook instead of listening to the audio. The library didn't have the ebook, so no go. If I had the ebook, I would have been able to stop and taken notes and this review would be better.

I think is book is going to be the last book about Evolution that I read/listen to for a while. In the past couple of weeks, I've read 7 evolution books: Evolution vs. Religious Creation Myths: A Guide to Understanding the Scientific Response, The Link: Uncovering Our Earliest Ancestor, The Religion Virus: Why We Believe in God: An Evolutionist Explains Religion's Incredible Hold on Humanity, Power, Sex, Suicide: Mitochondria and the Meaning of Life, Your Inner Fish: A Journey into the 3.5-Billion-Year History of the Human Body, Why Evolution Is True and this book. So it's time for a break, no matter how much I love evolution.

In some ways, this book was the hardest to get through. I expected it to be, since the main focus of the book is DNA something that I haven't really studied beyond a biology class in high school and anything I've picked up in books. It's a good book, don't misunderstand (I did give it 4 stars after all!) it was just something I didn't know that much about and it took a while to get use to it. And audiobooks hate me, so I can't pause it when I have to think about something.

My favorite part of the whole book had to be the part about extinct genes. I've never heard of this before (that I can remember) but the idea wasn't a shock. The bloodless fish was pretty interesting too, but weird at the same time.