SPOILER ALERT!

Magic Bites [Ilona Andrews]

Magic Bites -  Ilona Andrews

This one came close to getting ★★★★★, but missed the mark with some plot issues I noticed (please note that I listened to the audiobook and that those plot issues might be b/c I missed something and not due to real plot holes). I'm not going to get into them here, since I'm still trying not to spoil things.

It took me a little while to get into this book, since it's the first book in the series and those are always world building. I will be continuing the series (the audio for Magic Burns is already on eHold at the library).

There are some general spoilers below, more about the world than the plot.

There are several things in this world that are new to me. The vampires being controlled by another thing wasn't really new, since C.T. Adams & Cathy Clamp's Thrall series has a similar idea (first book is Touch of Evil) with the vampires being controlled by their queen. It was new that the vampire's had no free will of their own at all and were nothing more that mindless creatures. Another thing that was different was the pack, which was all wereanimals and not just one type (wolves, cats whatever). They all had one leader, although each group seems to have had alpha pair as well. The idea of magic words is also a new idea to me, although I've read other books were words have power, Andrews uses it in a different way. You have to own the words to use them. Kate gained some her own way (it doesn't say how) and suffered for it and gains more in this book (losing time and bleeding for it).

I liked Kate, but there were times that I really wanted her to stay silent! Don't push people, Kate. Pissing them off can be a very bad idea! And she does it anyway. I guess she just can't not push.