The Winter Sea [Susanna Kearsley]

The Winter Sea - Susanna Kearsley

There are spoilers beyond this point, I'm not doing spoiler tags because I'm lazy and I don't think any of them are major spoilers

I loved how the past seamlessly flowed into the past. I've not read a book that has a author writing about the past while they try to learn all they can about that time. I'm not sure I've ever read a book where the main character was a writer, so that's new too. I have read books that have two different time frames in them (the Outlander books come to mind, especially Dragonfly in Amber).

I'll admit to loving the idea of ancestral memories, even if I can't completely believe in them. The idea of ancestral memories isn't new to me, since they are also used in the Earth's Children series by Jean M. Auel (book one is The Clan of the Cave Bear), although those memories are more about general knowledge (like what plants are good for eating or medical uses of them) versus the complete memories of a person.

I really loved Sophia and Mr. Moray's wedding, even if it did seem like cheating to me. Her ladyship isn't going to be happy! No one knows about their handfasting, so I don't really see how it could be binding. I understand the idea, but shouldn't they need at least a witness to make it binding? All they have is their word that they really are married. Now that I'm thinking about it, I love that idea even more than a legal/church marriage!

I liked the ending of the book she was writing as it was, but I also liked the other ending, which was happier. The first ending shows that everyone doesn't get their happy ending in the way they expected. It was bittersweet, but I loved it more for that. I don't think I'm the only one to think that, but at the same time, I'm glad she was convinced to write the other (true) ending.