Pride and Prejudice [Jane Austen]

Pride and Prejudice - Jane Austen, Anna Quindlen

At first, I agreed with Elizabeth about Mr Darcy and couldn't figure out why so many people love him so much. Still not completely sure I understand it, but okay. I think my favorite thing about this book is that neither one of them is perfect. There are a lot of things that could have been avoided if they'd been willing to really talk to each other, but I can't really blame them for not doing so.

I was really surprised that Mr. Darcy assumed Elizabeth would say yes to his proposal. I really can't blame her for saying no. I understand that marriage did not (and does not, for that matter) equal/require love, but I think there has to be at least some affection on both parts for it to work out well, and that's just a start! She almost hated him at that point, so I think if she'd said yes it would have become a complete mess for both of them.

I don't completely believe the love without really talking thing, but okay. I would have liked it better if they'd spent some time together before he confessed to loving her. It didn't seem all that believable to me the way it was. They never even really talked!

I did like that her refusal of his proposal make him think about how people saw him, but I don't really like that he changed for her (for himself, too, I hope, but it didn't really seem that way).