Past of a Marked Man [Jennifer Hirtler]

Past of a Marked Man - Sevinar

I got this book for free via Making Connections, so I could read and review it

This isn't a book I would have gotten on my own. It's good, but it's not the kind of book I'd normally read. The summary hooked me with the first line "The city of Kuz is ruled by assassins and thieves."

This book starts with the point of view of a priest of Serit'ha, the Goddess of the Moon, protector of the damned and guardian of the night. He's getting a new assignment from the High Priest. He finds it strange that he's being asked to write a history of a man, since that would be more the God of Records job. He soon finds out that this task isn't as simple as he thought it would be. I'm not going to give anything away, but he thought the man was a priest and that it would be a simple task to get the man's history. He soon finds out otherwise: the man is Kagnos, the former Lord of Kuz, a city run by assassins and thieves.

The story told by Kagnos starts with his childhood and goes beyond the point of him being Lord of Kuz. You start to see another side to the city, a side that most people never really see much less understand. You think you're starting to understand the man's story and then the author throws another curve ball.

This book is part fantasy, part romance and part quest tale. It's partly about Mitchell trying to make sense of the stories that he's being told, piecing the past together from various people's (Kagnos, Cherryl and a third person) stories. He's not sure what he's looking for, but he hopes to know what it is when he finds it. He follows the story from Kagnos to his former apprietnce, Cherryl and finally to a third person, who the final piece of the puzzle.

One thing I found annoying was that the person telling the story would sometimes say something to Mitchell right in the story. That really annoyed me, although I don't think it would annoy many.