When Comes the Spring by Janette Oke [Review]

When Comes the Spring - Janette Oke

I read the first one of these in 2012.  I liked it, but not enough to continue the series at the time.  It got pushed back and I forgot about it for a while.  I've restarted several series that I started in 2012 this year (Amelia Grey's Rogues' Dynasty, Annette Blair's Rogue's Club and this series).

I was worried that such a gap between the books would be an issue, but I had no real trouble getting back into the world.  It might have been different if they'd stayed in the same location as the first book is set in, but they spent most of their time at Wynn's new posting up North.  I'm not going to say much about what happens in this book, but it reminded me of Diana Gabaldon's Outlander series at some points, mostly when they (Claire, Jamie and family) were at Fraser's Ridge.

They could spend days or weeks without something happening and then something major happens and everything goes a little crazy.  Some of the major events include a large fire in the village and a cold snap that killed at least one person and hurt several others.  Wynn might be a law man, but he's also "doctor, lawyer, adviser [and] handyman"(page 145 in the ebook - near the start of chapter 21).  He's the one everyone goes to when they need help.  His job causes some tension between them, but that was mostly the first time he was gone for longer then either of them expected: she lashes out about dinner being a mess when she'd really been sitting worried about him.

One of the reasons I liked this book is that it was so unpredictable in some ways: you never know what's going to happen next in the village or what they are going to need to do when something does happen.  This book ends on a hopeful/happy note: spring has come.