SPOILER ALERT!

Once Upon A Misty Bluegrass Hill [Rebecca Bernadette Mance]

Once Upon A Misty Bluegrass Hill (American Royalty, #3) - Rebecca Bernadette Mance

I assumed that this book was historical, but there's text messaging so it can't be. Oddly enough, that's really the only hint we get that it isn't historical.

I ended up not liking Patrick all that much.  I didn't hate him like I hated William in The Letter but it would be unfair of me to be okay with him cheating on his fiancé just because we (Jolene and I, and likely other readers as well) don't like her when I hate cheating in general.  I get that they both got caught up in the moment, but that's not really a good excuse.  I was a little unhappy with Jolene as well, but as Patrick said he's the older one and he should have known better.

Another thing that bothered me about Patrick, although this one isn't anywhere near as big of a deal given the major time jumps in this book, is his focus on Jolene's age.  I don't think we ever quite learn how old Patrick is but the way he talks sometimes about the age gap you'd think he's in his 50s or older.  I don't really think that's the case, it's more likely that he's in his late 20s or early 30s at the start of the book. He basically calls Jolene a child at the start of the book and I know that eighteen isn't that old, but it's not the same as being a child either.

He's horrified by the men that Jolene's Aunt Paula sent her to visit during the Derby that first year - Jolene apparently looks younger than she really is and it sickens Patrick that those men are attracted to her.  It's not that many chapters later that he acts on his attraction to her, they don't have sex but they do something sexual.  I would have been less annoyed by his obsession with her age if he hadn't done anything sexual with her until after she'd come back from the school he sent her to, three years after the start of the book (so she would have been either 20-21). Either she's a child who needs protection or she's a young woman that he can find attractive without guilt.  Pick one!

I didn't really love or hate Jolene, which is kind of odd for me since I often like the female and hate the guy (or don't care about him one way or the other).  I liked her some of the time and somethings she did kind of pissed me off.  I loved that she wanted to win the Kentucky Derby (and it was really weird reading a book set in my home state!) because of something her father said about Storm when she was younger and I really loved that she won, but there wasn't really any doubt.

I didn't like her whole revenge idea.  I don't think we ever really learn what the plan really was, but some guesses can be made.  I understand that she was hurt by Patrick getting engaged but they were never dating, they never even went on a date.  They did do some sexual things before she'd left for school but that doesn't mean that he was going to wait for her.  I think Patrick hated himself a little for wanting her.  I don't understand why she didn't just let him go.  I understand that she loved him (even when she hated him) but it was cruel to break him and his fiancé up, even if we don't like her.  I'm not completely sure that was the plan, but it was at least something about making him want her (Jolene) instead of his fiancé.

I didn't really care if they got together or not, really.  I disliked him and didn't care one way or the other about her, so meh.

I've noticed that 2 of the 3 books in this series have been kind of meh to me so I'm glad this is the last one (I'm assuming it is, anyway).  I really liked Iron Horse King but I didn't really care for either this one or The Letter, although my dislike of that one was that I hated William rather then anything else.